Why?

Everyone else had a blog, so I want one!

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Me reading?! (o.0)

Yesterday was a pretty decent day. The main thing that I accomplished, was to complete my FIRST RE Units 3&4 Sac =O!! And other than that, the only other accomplishment, would be me starting the actual camp video. It took me a few hours to just do 48 seconds ><" The funny thing is that I am hoping to make this a 10 minute movie clip. Let's see how it goes!!

Oh right, and I gots to CONGRATULATE my brother MARK for being GC's NEW SCHOOL CAPTAIN!! =D
CONGRATS BRO!!!

Today was actually humorous. It is humorous, not due to the fact that something funny happened. It was humorous, due to the idea that I actually did something (0.0)!!
Firstly, we completed the planning to Libro's birthday eve's Yumcha outing *yaah yumcha!*
And...
Yes, exactly as the title states... I was READING! *shrug*
The book I read was
"CHINA, Land of dragons and emperors" (picture shown below)
The author of the book is the same person who composed "Chinese Cinderella" and its sequel.

This book was basically a non-fiction record of basic knowledge of Chinese culture's colour and numbers, with their meanings, which is then followed by a broad overview of China's history of emperors and political status. It began with the famed Qin dynasty, and ended with the current Communist Party reign.

I agree to the idea that this book is decently good with its accuracy, structure and good summary of the beginning and end of dynasties of Imperial China. However, there are many factors of Chinese history that this book (not sure if purposely) neglected. This neglecting includes:
  • The famous Xiang Yu (Western Chu Conqueror) in the Chu-Han wars, he was simply known as "a warlord".
  • It is extremely surprising how the EXTREMELY well known "Three Kingdoms" was not even stated in the book at all. A famous era of time with many great men (eg Guan Yu, Zhuge Liang, Zhou Yu, Zhang Fei, Liu Bei, Cao Cao) which has even been turned into a game (known as Dynasty Warriors) was not mentioned even ONCE! This was completely shattering.
  • The mentioning of the transition from Sui to Tang dynasty also overlooked the act of "Change at Xuanwu Gate". It was briefly mentioned, however was not mentioned with the famed title.
  • An extremely villainous subject to the Qing Dynasty, simply known as He Shen was also not mentioned (despite the fact that he was one of the richest Chinese men in ALL of history).
Other than the few neglected factors listed above, and a few others, I believe that the book was great! The point of China being an extremely traditional and "chained to the past" with their thinking, which caused them to decline from "the greatest nation the world has seen" during the Tang dynasty, to become a country in modern day society, that people look down upon. This is true, despite the fact of our rich cultural heritage!

I am actually disappointed in my ancestors on this point...

And that was pretty much my day..

Quote of the day:
"Those who can not remember the past are condemned to repeat it" (quote from Philosopher George Santayana, an extract from the book)
So true.. So true...

No comments: